In the 1700’s this land was a 600-acre horse farm called “Peachtree Estates”. Over the next 100 years, into the 1800’s, family and relatives split up the land and sold the vast majority into farms.
In the late 1800’s approximately 175-acres was owned by the Maenner Family who farmed the land. Many of their son’s and daughters were born in the masonry farmhouse built in 1727 and is listed on the Historic Roles within the State.
In 1956 or 1957, 134-acres was sold to Doug Smiley and his group of investors. They proceeded to develop a golf course on this land and in 1959 opened the course called “Belair Golf & Country Club”.
In 1974, United Investors Inc. purchased the course for a real estate investment. They made little improvements to the course itself, but did make changes, to the Historic House by adding two additions for a pro shop and a snack bar.
In 1980 United Investors Inc., submitted plans to the County Planning Board for developing Cluster Homes on the property.
The citizens, of the City of Bowie, wanted no parts of this development. With the help and determination of Barbara Murphy who spearheaded “Save the Golf Course” signed petitions were presented to the City Council. The City of Bowie added a referendum on the ballot for the residents to vote on. Purchase the golf course for open space or let the developer proceed with development. It passed by 3 votes!
In July 1981 the City of Bowie was looking for an outside group to lease the Belair Golf & Country Club and make major improvements to the facility. After all the proposals were submitted and evaluated, the present corporation and management have been in place since October 1, 1981. The name was changed to Bowie Golf & Country Club in 1982.
** Aerial views of the golf facility (before & after) are displayed in the clubhouse. Come, take a look.